Sunday, 21 August 2016

The key

Why is today an infinite measure of comfort in not losing and not gaining anything and yet a certain dependence on feeling of loss! To live this day through is like living on negative side of an unventured thought.
                              To venture a thought by going into the infinite complexities of its downside seems like an advantage to me. In its essentiality, the thought of a prey arises from the negative, and that of the predator from the positive and this is what I think, makes all the difference, the roles we play in its eventuality.   To think like a prey, about the multiple ways it will go wrong, I become cautious, prepared for a defeat, a misunderstanding, a mistrial and the pioneer of ill disposition “bad luck”!
                                   What I feel today sitting in this well-built apartment holds a story of my friend sandeep and his mysterious adventure, one that made all the difference.
                                                 One bright afternoon, I was preparing lunch after writing first draft of my novel which took 3 months to materialize. I was certainly content on its completion. Around 3-o-clock
My doorbell rang continuously; often the landlady has this disposition of announcing her presence and more than always for rent. Unusually today, I was prepared to pay her. I opened the door and it was sandeep, all soaked in sweat, looking at me through his sunglasses.

‘What took you so long?’  He said irritatingly.

‘I wasn’t expecting you! Or anyone for that matter.’ He couldn’t care little about my surprise.

‘Ok! I came anyway.’
He settled on the sofa lying in my drawing room. It belonged to the landlady, as she was out of space. I brushed it often anyway.

‘Do you believe in anything?’ he said leaning forward, almost scaring me.
I could not understand if it was a metaphysical-philosophical question or some sort of marketing tactic to sell me something.

‘In the inevitable, yes I believe in them’ I said just for the sake…

‘What about the things that hangs on uncertainty, Like…everything else!’  He replied leaning back, relaxed putting two fingers on his lips and his thumb on the jaw line. He was expecting an intelligent answer.

‘If empirics support them, yes!’ I closed my eyes trying to sleep over this torture.

‘Instincts, do you believe in them?’

‘You know I don’t.’

At this moment he produced from his pocket a 1000 rupee note which was folded and gave it to me.  On inspection, I found that it was torn, not folded! I held just one half.

‘What do you think?’ he stood up.

So this is what it’s all about, I thought.


‘I feel sad for you but I cannot help you, I have to pay my landlady. In fact when you came…’

‘It’s not about that you fool’ he said smiling.

‘I found this note near chandni chowk, look at it, can you see anything?’

‘What makes it any different from any other ill-fated currency note? It’s just a torn part that might have fallen from someone’s pocket.’ I said observing the note.

‘No no! Look at it closely, it’s not any note, look how new it is and..and...wait!’
At this point he picked up a paper of same dimension as a 1000 rupee note. He tore it vigorously by using his thumb and index finger of both hands, from the middle. He then took another paper and tore it slowly as an act of deliberation, then held both halves and looked at me foolishly; I was still holding the 1000 rupee note.
I could assert that no one could see any difference, but not sandeep; he could never make general assertions of the sort. He did not believe in weak-concept such as coincidence.

‘Give me the note’, he took the note from my hand and superimposed it with the deliberately torn paper.

‘You see the edges! When I tore carelessly two haves are neat, on the edges, there are no remnants of the other half, on the contrary, deliberately, things get messy, the edges get thin on one half and thick on another! It’s not neat, now see the note.’
He wanted me to believe his story, his theory, but I could see nothing but a desperate fool.

‘Have you slept sandeep, are you taking your medicines?’ he was clearly angry, and started muttering words looking sideways.

‘I am sorry, but I am of no help, I cannot indulge in your fantasy even if I wanted to!’

‘I should have known what a self-righteous fool you are, only if you had known something about the place I found it...’ he left slamming the door.

Sandeep went to collage with me and we lived in the same apartment for a few semesters. Sandeep is well-build, medium-heighted guy about my age. His complexion has gotten darker from collage days as he works as forest ranger, currently off-duty without pay.
                                    I finished my lunch and soon got lost in the trail of thought regarding my collage days with sandeep, a hopeless romanticist who could cling to almost everything and build a parallel existence devising theories whose truthfulness depended on number of people agreeing to it.  Many things have changed since then but not sandeep. I simply did not wanted to encourage sandeep in his pursuits as I have seen him fail many times, but there was indeed something about the note…

Things were usual the next day. On the 2nd day sandeep came again into my house. He looked flushed out of life. I didn’t know what he saw but he was terribly frightened.

‘What happened, you’re shaking, is everything all right?’

‘Can I stay 3-4 days here with you, please?’

‘Of course you can but what happened?’
He said nothing and went into the other room which was empty since my roommate left last month.
Days passed and nothing occurred that was remarkably unusual, although sandeep sat hours at the window once outside window, faced towards street, and at the note every other time with, what I saw, “admiration”. He ate less and talked little, contrary to his countenance. I thought he was short on money and thus got kicked out of the house!
On the 4th day, I woke up and went to the window, I saw him leaving. He waved at me from the street, he was caught and it embarrassing for both of us. I soon forgot about this incident and started working on my second draft.

Days evolved into weeks and weeks into month when monsoon arrived. Delhi’s weather works in hyperboles, in extremities, and monsoons are not any different. My street was flooded with rainwater. I sat near my window sipping coffee and read a newspaper. News was fighting with advertisements for space. Neighboring children were busy with paper boats.  I saw the postman struggling on his bicycle not to fall. He threw a letter at my door just at a small spot between water and more water. Such skills warrant more respect than it gets. I could hear a kid jumping on stairs until he finally appeared, threw the letter at me and rand away.
 The address on the letter was of a certain apartment in gurgaon. It wrote.
Dear friend,
Ankit
You have seen me fail so many times and in so many ways that you cannot possibly imagine a bitter end fated for me, that has not already happened. But I will tell a different tale this time. Come meet me, I will send a car tomorrow.
Your friend,
Sandeep

This was 3 months after he left, yesterday. I could not understand the meaning of it all. How could he fail ‘more’ miserably after what I know about his past endeavors? Today, I took the car he sent and reached his apartment. I was called on 21st floor when sandeep was told of my arrival.
It was a well built apartment facing a large forested land from one side and huge settlements from the other; it was too spacious for sandeep. I was all ears today for he had a story.

‘Whose apartment is this?’  I asked after the normal pleasantries.

‘Mine, of course’ he just wanted to astonish me.
I stared at him astonished.

‘Is this anyway related to that half note of yours?’

‘You remember the 1st day I came to you with that note, around 3 and a half month ago?’

‘How can I forget that madness!’

‘Well you guided me right that day, my dear friend, although unknowingly’
 


‘How come I guide you?’
This part was ironic because earlier I would encourage him a little and when forced would even give a few suggestions to him, but this time, with this note fantasy, I rejected it completely, how could have I guided him, was there no escaping sandeep’s interpretation of help.

‘Well you said you cannot help me, so I kept looking for someone who would, and that someone, that someone is very important in my story.’
‘I went to chandni chowk after I left you, exactly where I found the note. I waited there for an hour or two, I could not see anything, I felt hopeless and foolish.’

‘Then what?’ I asked.

‘Just when I was about to leave, I saw 3 men in black suits looking for something the very place I found the note! I was so excited I was going to tell them about the note when I saw 2 of them leaving and opening the door in front of the spot. It was a shop, it had no sign or banner but I was sure it was commercial. Now that there was just one guy I went there and asked him what he was looking for!
“A key” he said without looking at me! “key to the sh…” and he looked at the open door of the shop and went inside immediately’

‘Key?’ I exclaimed.

‘Yeah, at this moment, I thought they dropped the key to the shop and 2 of the men found it, and the third was awfully drunk so he kept looking for the key! But you know me; simple solutions are the 1st I discard. So I stood on the other side of the road and kept waiting. There was a cyber café so went inside and took the table from where I could see the shop. It was nearly 8.00 p.m when the third guy came outside. Although I followed him closely, I was preety much sure where he was going!’



                                                             2

 ‘A bottle of beer and ice’ abhay settled on his chair.
Abhay was a lean guy, more of an athletic build, around 6 feet tall and had a scar on his forehead. He was of a fair complexion. He dressed neatly.


‘I followed him to the bar and took the table next to him; I did not plan on getting drunk but out of excitement, gulped down 2 bottles of beer’
‘I was waiting for the right moment to talk and indeed things turned in my favor! He finished his 2nd bottle and was approaching 3rd when I approached him and sat on empty chair of his table.

‘Do you mind?’ I said placing the bottle on his table, he signaled me to sit down with his eyes and spoke after putting out his cigarette.

‘You from around here?’

‘Yeah, sandeep, I come here often but have never seen you’ I lied but with enough tact as to not get caught.

‘I don’t like being seen anyway; it’s asking for unnecessary trouble, I am abhay’

‘Let me get you a beer’ I signaled the waiter for a bottle.

‘Thank you, you looking for work?’ he asked.
 I thought; if it will make him talk, why not play along.

‘Yeah, how did you guess, I did not sit here for that though. I don’t like to drink alone, makes me sulk!’

‘How long it’s been since you bathed, shaved, this shabby hair, unpressed cloth, you need a girl more than a job!’

Despite the sarcasm, I was happy; we were where I wanted us to be.

‘Maybe both!’ I said

‘I can give you work, albeit on my terms, there are many important people above me, who trust me. I must trust you first’ said abhay.

‘Yes I’ll try’ I said trying not to sound too desperate.

‘More than try, my friend.’
He said handing me a package which was small and had too many clips around it and asked me to give it to a guy sitting diagonally opposite to the table. I went and gave the package but many eyes turned in such short passage. I tried to avoid thinking what was in the package, it was the hardest 2 min walk I ever took. Anyway, I walk back to him and he said me to meet him on the same table 4 days later,

‘Those two guys take special liking for you, I think, if you’ll meet me after 4 days, I will have a reason to think they have failed.’ Abhay said before leaving.
I looked back and 2 big guys in black suit were eyeballing me. I skipped a beat but tried and composed myself trying to escape covertly but they followed me to the next street, I was too drunk to stop and think. It was then that I saw a police jeep. I stood near it and hoped it would repel those guys. It indeed did.
I came running to your house, if you remember when I stayed for 4 days. I didn’t tell you the entire thing because I knew you would not understand; even I did not understood what happened that day. Like abhay thought I needed a job, you too must have thought something about my stay. I did not wanted either you or abhay to think otherwise. I must be forgiven but we believe the stories we ourselves create more strongly than what anyone else would tell us. I just exploited this fact.

Those 4 days were full of terror. I kept looking out of the window to chick if those two assassins didn’t follow me to your house and then at the wretched note which bought so much trouble with itself. When I was about to sleep the third day, I thought the 1st thing I would do in the morning would be to throw that note. Something stopped me doing it that very moment. However that sleep and the subsequent dream changed many things.
I dreamed that I was in a room with sandeep and there is a big chest of treasure lying open, he’s fighting with someone over its content. I go over and peek inside; it was all stones and saplings of coal. I was disappointed and tried to close the lid but as I was doing it the entire chest turned gold and other precious stones and the coal saplings turned into silver ones. Abhay was surprised but I saw he was no longer there. I was alone in that room with all the treasure. I woke, shaved, wore one of your suit and left. I didn’t even wait for you. Remember I waved at you from the street.

I went to a job interview in the morning around 11, which lasted till 3.00. I then went to the shop and waited in the cyber café on the opposite side. Around 6.00 I saw a black Mercedes stopping in front of the shop. A fat man, in a much better but black suit came out of the car and went in the shop. He appeared to be the ringleader. I thought of asking the café owner about the shop but I couldn’t on account of unnecessary suspicion. It was 8.00 and I headed to the bar.

‘Someone does not just lose the key and gets away with it’ abhay was saying to the 2 other guys who were searching that day. He saw mw.

‘So you’re alive, it seems’ abhay laughed and asked those 2 boys to leave and look for some passing rumors about the “key”.

‘What key were you talking about? I asked.

‘I thought you would ask about the two guys who followed you, people do indeed set their priorities foolishly’
He poured the beer in glass.

‘Yeah, I was about to ask about them’!

‘Well you are two new to know about the key, and too quick to care about the pair of them!’

‘I was not that quick, they nearly got me, if it were not for the policemen…’

‘What? You asked a policemen’s help?’

‘No no, I just stood by their jeep’

‘Good, because that would have been the last foolish thing you would have done!’

We were one bottle down each. I mixed 4 different types of drinks for abhay and gave him at least 2 big shots of it. He was awfully drunk; I wondered why he taunted me about having wrong priorities.

‘What is the key business all about?’

‘What does a key do idiot?’ said abhay

‘Open locks!’ I responded

‘Well, this lock has 2 keys and one of them is lost by that drunkard rahul, that fool…’  he was not addressing anyone.
‘Then break the lock.’ He was too drunk to listen.

‘The money, all the money, boss came today, he’ll kill me, that fat bastard, for all the money..all the…’
He slept in mid sentence.

The bad owner helped me put him upstairs in owner’s room. He said abhay at times forgets about the night and panics when finds himself anyplace else than home, so said me to stay too.
I thought you must have slept so I slept there.
I woke up in the morning while he was still asleep. I went for tea to a tea stall near the shop. I always tried to spy on the shop; this was the last time I was to do it.
I went back and abhay was up and smoking.

‘You will work for me, but don’t ask too many questions’

‘What will I do?’

‘No questions! Come with me!’
We went to the same shop. I saw a big table and two men behind it. There were charts of numbers hanging written “today’s draw” on top of it. I got the faint idea of what it was. I followed abhay and there was a staircase concealed by the wall. On the wall above two men was written “OSCAR LOTTERIES” I knew abhay was not in the lottery business but I didn’t ask him about it.

Upon climbing the stairs there appeared a spacious room, nearly empty but with a sofa and a table with multiple drawers. There was a bookshelf in the corner. He sat on the chair behind table and drew from the drawer a package although bigger but similar in appearance to earlier package, in the bar. He asked me to take it to a meat shop near narayana flyover. I left immediately.
             Upon reaching there and giving the package to a fat bald butcher, a strange thing happened; he gave me a half torn 100 rupee note and asked me to give it to abhay.
 I was very content that I had been led correctly by my instincts all along. In next month, may such deliveries and receiving occurred. On receiving, I was to open the package and check for the half part of currency note and give the other half to them. These were notes of different values 10, 20, 50,100,500. But I never received or delivered any note of 1000. I and abhay grew close and I learned a lot about him, his family, his habits, his drinking problem, problem to those who faced him after drinking! He was violent, more in thoughts than in action.
                    One morning the lottery guy, sonu, a thick man, told us about a lottery ticket for 10 crore in rupee 500. I immediately bought two tickets and gave one to abhay. He gave me 500 rupee and asked me to keep the ticket.
‘Where will I keep it you fool, keep it, I don’t really win these things. Still they say my luck will outlive me, those rascals’ he said jokingly

We went upstairs and counted the notes and the packages.
‘Still interested in knowing what a key is?’ he asked

Although I knew what is was, I played along.

‘Yes, of course’.

‘You hold it in your hands all the time you fool; in fact you have one sitting in your purse! The notes!’

‘What? I don’t have any!’ I panicked; I thought he knew all along.

‘Don’t tell me you didn’t do the last night deliveries, you fool’

‘Oh yes’ I breathed ‘I did it; here keep the note… the key’ I handed him a 100 rupee half.

‘There it is, you see it, this is the key, the only deal breaker in the hawala business, no authenticity, no authority, and this is the agent, without this, no deal can be done!’

‘And someone lost one of these?’ I grew relentless

‘That fool rahul, it’s just me between him and certain death, that old bastard would have hacked him if it were not for me. This is what is wrong with me, I am an emotional man.’ He stared at me.
Sometimes he said things like these and I felt giving him the note, something stopped me, may be that dream!

‘This package is the biggest we ever dealt in, in Gujarat! It’s extremely hi-profile and is waiting for 2 months. Even boss cannot crack it without the key, that fat bastard’.
At this moment, a fat man appeared in the room, he was the same man I saw in Mercedes that day. He was angry; or it was just his eye-brows.

‘Don’t you value your life abhay, tell me who lost the key are I will kill you right now! Who’s this?’
The fat man said looking at me.

‘Boss, it was a mistake, I trust that guy, he has worked for me9 years, more than I have worked for you, kill me if you want but keep him out of this’ abhay drew me near ‘he is the new guy I told you about, sandeep, he’s our boss’ he introduced me.

‘OK OK. Listen to this, there is a new receiving of a fiver and you have to handle it, it’s near gandhinagar, go there and break the deal’

‘When boss?’

‘I will tell you when’ he said leaving the room.
Gandhinagar is in Gujarat and I wanted to go there.

‘I can go if you want!’ I said coolly and carelessly.

‘ I need you here you, you fool…wait…you are perfect for this job, great’ he said holding me with both hands ‘ I will go and tell rahul to lay low for few days, you wait here for boss’s signal’ he left in haste.

I could not understand as to why I was perfect man for this job but I was too excited to care.
I sat there thinking why abhay knew boss will not kill him, its then I noticed a file named Gujarat in one of the drawers; I looked out of the window and saw abhay leaving. I picked up the file and started reading them, to my surprise, there was nothing to read, just blank pages. At the last page there was a pamphlet of some builder’s site in Ahmedabad. There was nothing else on the file. I was disappointed. I closed my eyes and thought about the randomness of events that bought me here. It was then when realized I had seen that pamphlet somewhere else. Upon thinking, I ran downstairs and saw the boss’s car and there it was. On the back window, the same sign of “mahavir constructions’. I ran upstairs and was about to open the file when I heard footsteps which had probably followed me upstairs. I panicked and left the file on the table.

‘Your lottery draw will come day after tomorrow, it’s the biggest we have drawn till now’ sonu the lottery guy was up there. The words rang in my ears, biggest draw till now…biggest deal till now!

‘Tell me, boss owns the lottery company too?’

‘Boss?, you boss and my father were friends and they bought this place together, so I own this company, anyway, why do you ask?’

‘Oh, just like that’ I said

He left waving at me.

I opened the file and noted down the address of construction site. Then I left and went for tea downstairs. Honestly, the idea cooking on my mind made me too anxious. I just thought the risk was not worth taking. Who wants to be caught guilty among gangsters? Even though they liked being called businessmen, I was perplexed with these thoughts when a guy came and handed me the paper with an address and told me that I am to go to Gandhinagar and gave me 500rupee key. The paper wrote 3.00 p.m.

I boarded the train at 10.30 p.m. from chandni chowk station for gandhinagar. I didn’t even buy a ticket in frenzy and even had a little tussle with the T.C. I reached gandhinagar at 1.00 p.m. the next day.
I had the address to the receiving point which was a manager’s room at a petrol pump, I took the package and didn’t even cared for check the key inside.
Ahmedabad is 23 kilometers north of gandhinagar so I took the local train. Waiting for that train was the hardest part of the entire deal. I was thinking about what to do next. I tried to figure out the whole equation, why I ever contacted abhay, why I did what I did, the only explanatory variable was the 1000 rupee note still sitting in my pocket, so I proceeded towards the inevitable.
                      The railway station nearest to the grand Gujarat deal was 40 minutes away; I took a train at 4.00p.m. and reached there by 5.00. It rained heavily all along. I had to keep the package secure too. I took a cab to the construction site which was supposedly the place of the deal.
          I was led to this place by just my instincts and little deductions I mentioned. As a result I was still uncertain about going there.
4 men were sitting around the table and were playing a game of cards. The boundary around the plot was just my height so it was easy to observe from outside. Believe me, in last few months if I have learned anything its being covert and a keen observer, so I looked inside. The building was not at all like they showed in pamphlet. One could notice that things were at halt from a long time. Machines had mud in their engines; the plastic sheets over the building were covered with thick layers of dust and cement. It seemed like a cover for businesses like these. I saw 2 guys leaving and decided to wait. You know, it’s easy confronting two guys than four. Their bike puked the darkest smoke I had ever seen.
I moved towards a little opening between the boundaries when someone poked a sharp object on my back. It was a knife, it must be a knife.

‘So you know what a key is’ I could recognize abhay’s voice anywhere.

‘You yourself told me’

‘Trouble for you is what I didn’t tell you, what I did to manoj, about you, about what you do. What I told you bought you here, what I didn’t tell will be the end of you’

‘They know you; they know about it, boss will know anyway!’

‘Well all this didn’t stop you’ he kicked me and I kneeled.

‘That rahul, I hacked him the day he lost the key, and you know who my brother is, don’t you fool?’ he pulled my hair ‘remember you sat in that cyber café, the owner is my brother you fool’

‘Now, you have something that belongs to me, give it to me’

‘Why didn’t you take it all along’ I asked while opening my purse. I was honestly curious.

‘Ha ha, then who would have done my dirty work, you never worked for that fat bastard, it was my packages you transacted’
I handed him the key and something hit my head. The next thing I remember was the bullet sound that woke me up. I was lying tied in back of abhay’s car which was parked away from the boundary, I tried to see outside. What was to follow tested me in everything my wit, fear and most importantly luck! All I could think about was of dying. What was dreadful that I knew “how”. That changes things, two men dragging abhay’s unconscious body towards the car. They were the same men who followed me from the bar!  I was clearly aware that my luck had saved me once; it could have been me instead of abhay. But what about 2nd time! It was then that my elbow touched the package in my pocket. I slowly drew out the package with my elbow and pushed it toward my mouth with my thighs as it fell out. With my mouth I picked out one of the pins. I peeked outside again and looking for something in abhay’s pocket. I could see clearly now that abhay had bullet wounds. I threw the pin with my mouth near my hand and just hoped it fell there, it did. I managed to open the back and sneak out. I took the package and sat like dead behind the car. They drove off.
                                You might think that I escaped and was out of danger but at that moment I was paranoid like a drug-addict. I looked at everything with suspicion. The package was glued to my hand, I was drenching in sweat. I ran to the station and saw train to Delhi was leaving in 5 minutes. Terrified as I was, I still bought the ticket. The T.C that day de-boarded many people without ticket.
I reached Delhi in the morning as you can imagine, I wanted to come straight to you but the package got me thinking. I thought, though dangerous, the wisest thing would be to leave the package in the office, if not give it to the boss.

I went to the shop. I stood there for an hour, outside still undecided whether to go in or not. Finally, I hurled straight into the shop and then to the office. Someone sat on the chair; I could not see who he was looking out of the window. I threw the package on the table and the chair turned. It was boss.

‘I saw you standing there for like an hour, why didn’t you come up?’
I realized I didn’t even notice the car or cared to look up the window.

‘I was waiting for abhay’

‘That could be a long wait, or not’
I knew what he meant but I had to be patient.

‘Do people really betray you or are they being honest to themselves?’ he asked

‘Maybe both, boss! What happened?’

‘Abhay would have known better but he can’t answer now’

‘Where is he?’

‘Where he belongs, my men killed him. He killed the guy who lost the key. Maybe he would have done the same to you, that clever stooge. Maybe I saved you’

‘I would never have thought’ I said.

‘Yeah, that’s why fools like you worked for him. Tell me, will you work for me?  you owe me you life in a way’

‘Boss, this was the last job he asked me to do. I was to leave even before but he forced me, he had to be somewhere.’

‘Apparently not where he is now, go then what are you waiting for! Maybe the world needs more fools like you.’
                                                                     

                                                    3

  ‘What, then what about this car you sent me, the apartment you call your own?’ I stood up in curiosity

‘Well I left the room and bumped into the lottery guy, sonu! He forced me to see the charts.’ Said sandeep

‘You won the lottery?

‘I took out my ticket and my number was nowhere to be found. I was leaving when I saw another ticket in my purse!’

‘He won the lottery?’

‘Indeed, his luck certainly outlived him.’








No comments:

Post a Comment